Tuesday, March 24, 2020

No Way, Two Can Play!


This is the second part of my series of opposing decks based on the battle of mini-cassettes during the siege of Autobot City.  Blaster seemed to be taking the battle in stride, saying things like "Hey Perceptor, what's shakin' ... other than this fortress?"  That's not the kind of joke someone makes when they are freaking out.

In the first article in this series, First We Crack the Shell, we relived how Soundwave deployed his fearsome cassettes to knock out the Autobots' communication ability before they could call Optimus Prime for help.  After tearing off the satellite dish, Rumble used his arms that somehow turn into pistons to get his buddies inside the dome.  Editor's note: Imagine my disappointment when the Rumble toy didn't have those sweet arms.

The mini baddies proceeded to overwhelm poor Perceptor, who really is kind of a wimp.  Perceptor, while being a lame fighter, was pretty heroic in telling Blaster to run and save himself.




Blaster was having none of it, yelling "No way, two can play!" as he ejected his own cassette crew.  That's totally a cooler way of saying "Two can play at that game."  Ramhorn and Steeljaw saved Perceptor, who somehow was being smashed by two mini Decepticon cassette bots.  This may be the first time in history a Rhino ever took out a bat.  Blaster was no pushover himself as he gave Ravage a pretty nasty ninja kick.  Eject chased off Ravage with laser blast to the face and the Autobots were left to wait and see if their S.O.S. had gotten through ... otherwise they were all going to look like "burnt out toaster ovens."

This deck lets you relive this victorious moment!

If you are interested in seeing the fortressmaximus.io visual depiction of the deck, I have included it at the end.

Characters:
Blaster (10)
Ramhorn (5)
Eject (5)
Steeljaw (5)
3 bonus star cards Interpret the Airwaves (3)

Battle Cards (Pip Color)(Number):
Force-Field (W)(3)
Medic's Protective Field (W)(3)
Obstructive Rhythm (W)(3)
Inner Groove (W)(3)
Kinetic Converter (W)(2)
Anticipation Engine (W)(2)
Energon Axe (B)(3)
Grenade Launcher (O)(3)
Daring Counterattack (O)(3)
Escape Route (GW)(3)
Interpret the Airwaves (OO)(3)
Rapid Conversion (W)(3)
Recover Cassette (B)(3)
Roll Out (BO)(3)
Breakdown: Orange 15, Blue 9, White 22, Green 3. 18 Actions, 8 Weapons, 9 Armor, 5 Utility

Why these characters: To keep with the movie plot, I went with a standard Blaster team.  I know a lot of people take advantage of the extra stars and replace one of the cassettes with a 7 bot character but such is life when you make a theme deck. Perceptor would have been cool to add in, but he's not out yet, the stars for his upcoming card wouldn't work well, and he didn't do anything but get embarrassed.


Why these battle cards: To fit the theme, I used as the Blaster cards from the set.  He's on the cards so I pretty much have to right?  Daring Counterattack seemed to fit what happened in the movie, and it will come in handy when my mini bots start to die.  Inner Groove seems pretty good for cassettes because it helps offense and defense.  Interpret the Airwaves seems useful for managing a deck. Obstructive Rhythm is an ok armor given the three cassettes I am starting with.  Recover Cassette could be a cool way to save (rewind?) an almost dead cassette.

To get these little guys out, I need to flip Blaster ... a lot.  So I added Roll Out, Rapid Conversion and Escape Route  Ramhorn lets me equip white armor cards when he defends, so I added Force Field and Medic's Protective Field to my Obstructive Rhythm, which were the only white armors I could find.

Strategy: Blaster has to flip a bunch to get these guys out.  If I can snag a white armor in my hand, I'm bringing out Ramhorn.  Otherwise, I'm using Steeljaw so he can give Blaster bold. My first priority is getting Blaster some help and keeping him alive long enough to do so.  I'm giving him an armor as soon as I can.  After that, I can focus on getting the cassettes into proper position.  I honestly have way to many white cards, but that's what happens when I try to maximize white armor cards and cards with Blaster on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment