Sunday, June 14, 2020

Hitchcock's Revenge

Alfred Hitchcock is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time.  He's dead now, so he can't make any more movies.  But, through the hourglass of time, we can see that he predicted the emergence of the Transformers Trading Card Game and embedded a team suggestion in one of his most famous movies:


How did Hitchcock know that by wave 5, we'd have enough birds to form a scary squad of Decepticons flyers?  They don't call him the Master of Suspense for nothing!  He can't follow through and make the deck, so I made it for him.



First, I gave you a team of horns, now I take to the sky! Behold!  Hitchcock's Revenge!  Note: The fortressmaximus.io visual depiction of the deck is at the end of the article

Characters:
Wingspan (8)
Raider Sights (6)
Raider Laserbeak (5)
Buzzsaw (5)
Strategic Airlift Stratagem (1)



Battle Cards:
Armed Hovercraft (B)(3)
Crystal of Power (BL)(3)
Energon Axe (BL)(3)
Energon Mace (BL)(3)
Force Field (W)(3)
Frag Toss (W)(3)
Fusion Borer (BL)(3)
Grenade Launcher (O)(3)
Peace Through Tyranny (OO)(1)
Pocket Processor (G)(3)
Quartermaster (W)(3)
Regenerative Core (G)(3)
Reprocess (G)(3)
The Bigger They Are (B)(3)
Breakdown: 5 Orange, 12 Blue, 9 Green, 9 White, 6 Black.  9 Weapons, 3 Armor, 3 Utility, 25 Actions.

Why these characters: Um. They are all birds.  That's pretty much it.

Note: Despite being left out of the attack on Autobot City (and my cassette squad deck memorializing it), Laserbeak is still a valued member of the crew.

Why these  battle cards: The Strategic Airlift makes Wingspan's ability much more useful. Buzzsaw lets you play a blue weapon when he attacks, so I included Armed Hovercraft, Energon Axe, and Energon Mace.

Wingspan takes scrapped upgrades and turns them into defense.  So, I tagged upgrades that self scrap - Force Field, Fusion Borer, Crystal of Power, Grenade Launcher, Regenerative Core, and Reprocess.  There are some other card combos that could pull this off, but I liked the idea that these had other good effects in exchange for losing the upgrade.

I chose Frag Toss because the team is all Decepticons.

Since these dudes are low on stars, I added The Bigger They Are.

Peace Through Tyranny is included to KO Sights and turn him into upgrade.  And honestly, I finally go one copy of the card so I want to try it out.

Finally, Pocket Processor is there to try to get Quartermaster/Peace Through Tyranny, in my hand to bring KO sights if need by and then bring him back if he gets scrapped.

Strategy: The strategy here is to get upgrades on as many dudes as possible. Sights attacks first in an attempt to turn him into his upgrade mode.  I'd keep Buzzsaw in stealth mode until I get a blue weapon in hand, then go ahead and use him. While I don't have a ton of upgrades, the fact that they are self-scrapping will get them under Wingspan.  The best strategy also includes a lot of bird puns to distract your opponent.

No comments:

Post a Comment