Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Unboxing Preview

I've always enjoyed unboxing videos for some unexplainable reason.  They have literally no relevance to my life, or the cards I will get when I open my box.  And yet, there is something oddly comforting in watching someone else's joy when they get a good card. This year, due to the added anticipation caused by COVID-19 and the UPS delay of my box, I found myself watching even more than usual.

Now that my box is confirmed to arrive tomorrow, I have decided to do an unboxing article.  I realized I could never do a video as well as the people doing them (and the results of my twitter poll skewed towards a write up).  Plus, I haven't seen many articles about box openings, so maybe I'm helping an underserved market!

The Night Before

As I mentioned, my box has been delayed so I've had plenty of time to think about what I want in my box.  Here are my 'night before' wishes, with criteria to help gauge how happy I'll be with my box:

SRT: I'm hoping my box has one, so I won' be picky.  If I got to pick, Windcharger is the one I am hoping for the most.  I need him for a theme deck I am planning.  Plus, I really like his +3 first attack bonus and the fact that he is an affordable car.  My second choice is Nightracer.  I don't use secret actions, and she (and her stratagem) might be the incentive I need to try.  Plus she's 5 stars.  If I get a SRT, I'm happy.

Rare Bodies: I have no idea who Skullsmasher is, but he's a robot alligator, so he's first on my wish list.  Skyshadow looks fun, but he'll take two rare cards to get (three if you count his head Ominus plus a stratagem), so it may not be worth getting my hopes up.  Therefore, I'll put Nautica next on my list so I can work on a boat deck.  My third draft pick is Fangry because he's a bat and there seems to be a bat themed deck that could be built with him.  It doesn't get any deeper than that.  Kup would be a solid consolation prize because ... he's Kup y'all!  The over/under on pulling my four preferred or rares or Skyshadow is 3.

Rare Heads: Brisko is my first choice.  He has a cool name and I like the +3 health. Grax is second.  His name is almost as cool, but he also has +5 health.  Flintlock is third because his head is Kup's head and I think it looks the most distinct of the rare heads.  The over/under for pulling my preferred rare heads is 2.

Common I don't want 1000 of: I'm excited for Beachcomber, Brawn, and Gears so getting a couple of extra wouldn't enrage me.  For some reason, I'm just not that into Crankcase.  I'm not familiar with the character and he isn't very distinct. I don't see myself using him and perhaps he enrages me because if you don't look carefully you may confuse him for Ruckus.  Rather than pick on poor Crankcase, I'd be ecstatic if the most of any one common character I got is 2.

Stratagems: The big thing with Stratagems is you need the character on the card to use them.  So, as much as I'd like some of these cards, I don't have Blitzwing or Windblade, so their cards aren't useful for me.  The same goes for the SRTs I don't pull in my wave 5 box.  I do have a fun Cosmos deck to try out, so I am most excited for his Orbital Strike stratagem.  My second, third, and fourth choices are Villainous Spotlight, Heroic Spotlight, and More Guns as I have the best chance of working them into a deck.  Consolation prize is Bike Gang because it could be worked into my Biker Girlz deck. The over/under on stratagems I can't use is 2.  The over/under on preferred stratagems is 3.

Battle Cards: Belligerence seems to be the best card out there. I also like Escape Capsule (great art, seems fun to try out).  Otherwise, I'm pretty cool with anything.

How did the box turn out?  Click HERE to see my box's breakdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment