Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Unboxing: Better Late Than Never

In PART ONE, I previewed what I was hoping to get out of my booster box.  Now that I finally have my box in hand, let's see how I did.

First pack.  Like an expansion team in sports, it was exciting to open a pack, even if it wasn't a winner.  Brawn is cool though, so I was feeling ok, even though the odds of being able to use the stratagem were minimal.


A few packs in, I nailed a sweet combo, with Skyshadow and Brisko as my first rare cards.

Megatron gave me my first 'head matches the body' pack.



The very next pack was notable because I got the infamous 'no stars' Topspin and my first duplicate character.  Are two Megatron heads better than one?



Halfway through and aside from half a Skyshadow, it was pretty uneventful ... until this.  I got a SRT and nailed one of the two I wanted most.  Nightracer may not be the best SRT, but she gives me a good excuse to try secret action cards.  I also got her stratagem so I was very happy:



I pulled the second half of Skyshadow, but I still needed the head and the stratagem to put him together.  Spoiler alert, I never got them so I suppose I'll have to scour the secondary/trade market for them. It really is daunting to try to pull four rare pieces together.



Here is the last pack I opened.  I was happy to nail one of the rare cards I really wanted and I got the awesome looking Kup head.  I don't think Nautica is the best character by any means, but I like unique cards and boats are prtty rare so far.  I'm definitely going to work on a boat themed deck:


Overall, here is the breakdown of my box:
SR (1): Nightracer
Rare (5): Sky Shadow Plane, Sky Shadow Tank, Nautica, Kup, Fangry
Rare Heads/Stratagems (5): Flintlock, Grax, Brisko, Better Things To Do Than Die, Bike Gang




Getting cool cards is the fun part of opening a box.  But the dark side is getting multiple copies of stuff you aren't so excited about.  I got 6 stratagems I have little or no chance of getting to use because they go with super rare cards.  At least they look cool.  And if I ever get lucky enough to snag one of the SRTs in wave 5, I'll have the stratagem ready to go.


I didn't get as many duplicates as I would have expected, but unfortunately I jinxed myself by talking trash about Crankcase.  I got stuck with three extras of him and two extra copies of his stratagem.  Next time I'll talk smack about a super rare!

I don't know how this box stacks up with what people are seeing, but I am quite excited about it.   Interestingly, I missed a few uncommon characters - Apex, Quake, and Wolfwire.   My priorities going forward are Skullsmasher, Ominus, Orbital Strike and Skyshadow Sync. That's not too bad.  By my informal internal happiness scoring system, here's how I did:


HITS:
1 SRT with extra credit for Windcharger or Nightracer
Rares: Skullsmasher, Nautica, Fangry, Kup or Skyshadow (almost)
Heads: Brisko, Grax, Flintlock

FAILS:
Maximum of 2 of any common character - Curse you Crankcase!
No more than 2 stratagems I can't use - if you are going to miss, miss big.  I got 6!
3 of Orbital Strike, Heroic Spotlight, Villainous Spotlight, More Guns, or Bike Gang stratagems - I really wanted Orbital Strike, but Bike Gang is a decent replacement because I can try to work it into my Biker Girlz deck.  I tend to use faction decks so Heroic Spotlight will be useful.
Belligerence battle card - No dice.  

Leave a comment or hit me up on Twitter with your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment